Friday, January 05, 2007

I LIKE COMICS

Some folks have been asking to see more of my comic style work, so over the next couple of days, I'll be giving a look at various forays into the world of ink and word balloons (one of my favorite places to go.)

First up, are a couple of images from some lengthier development I did on a rethinking of DC's Metamorpho character.

You can see some exaggeration in the proportions etc... on the character, as well as thinking how to show his "powers" in new, weird and interesting ways too. "Not yer mama's metamorpho" basically.

I wasn't necessarily suggesting this as an ongoing costume either...In this scene, he's wearing his initial transformation/experiment/accident outfit... later I suggest "incognito street clothes..."...maybe a full blown physical manifestation in the big act three showdown...or a "costume" at the wrap up.... But really more of a sci-fi take than a traditional superhero slant.

Through the development, I did some style exploration..as you'll see in the following image. Really thinking about pushing the design on the cover...using Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier covers...and Paul Pope's THB covers as inspiration..."it's a comic...but it's cool...it's art!....it's a rock poster...etc..."
SO, ya gotcher image with scales:

The scales/color switching is kind of an homage to the old silver age version of the character...He wouldn't necessarily have any of these physical traits, but I thought it would be kind of cool to nod that way in some of the cover/graphics.

All this to say, as I was putting together the pitch, DC announced they were doing a Metamorpho "Year One" book...

Hey, ya win some, ya lose some.
I'm looking forward to seeing what THEY do with the 'ol boy! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks cool, Paul! I've always had a soft spot for that character.

How do you get invited into the DrawerGeeks thing? I'd like to give it a try.

Jeff

Anonymous said...

AWE SOME!!! I'd love to see a new Metamorpho that looked this cool.

j.

Paul Conrad said...

Jeff- glad ya like it. Send me an email, and I'll see what I can do about the dg thing.

J.- Yeah, man...so would I. Sniff.