Wednesday, October 28, 2009

You can run, but you can't....HYDE!


....from Halloween that is.

I had the good fortune to pick up the special edition dvd of Rankin/Bass's "Mad Monster Party". (From the folks that also brought us Rudolph and Santa Claus is coming to Town)
'Loved this show as a kid, and really dig it now as well. Halloween was always a special time for me growing up, and this, the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, FM magazine and all those great Universal horror films helped build the anticipation for the night of costuming, make up and trick-or-treating.
If you get the chance, pick this DVD up, mostly for the visuals...the art direction ( including character & creature design by MAD Magazine artist Jack Davis) and stop-motion animation are still just incredible.

So...here's Mister Hyde. ..And I have all the other characters sketched out as well, including a full body Frankenstein's Monster with hopes of finishing them before Halloween...
Don't know if I'll make that goal (those pesky bills and paying jobs keep getting in the way)... But I guess it wouldn't be so bad to keep posting them ...after Halloween... WOULD IT? HM HM HM HA HA HA (insert Vincent Price laugh here)

Have a safe and Happy Halloween everybody!

10 comments:

KW said...

beautiful!

rico said...

Love it! Post them even if you can't meet the DEADline...mwuhahaha.

Vanhoozerbot said...

This is rockin my socks man.

Breadwig said...

Oh that's good, real good! Love the colors specially.

Tim Baron said...

AWESOME!!!

Prof. Grewbeard said...

can't wait 'til you get around to Francesca!...

Mr. Scribbles said...

Great stuff as usual m'man. I don't really remember this show. I had to check youtube to refresh my memories.

Paul Conrad said...

KW- thanks man!

Rico- Ha. That's my plan...even if things get GRAVE....ha ha ha

JV, BreadWig and Tim-Thanks guys... I took a lot of color inspiration from the Disney Haunted Mansion album art from when I was a kid.

Prof.- Oh she's definitely in my plans.. and thank YOU for all the halloween inspiration you've given me this year!

Ev- Ha... Yeah, this show was definitely from BACK in the day.

Happy Halloween!

Erik Evans said...

Thats so funny - we had a party and thats what I rented. I would look forward to catching that on TV when i was young, but its so rare today. You need the DVD. I could do without Phyllis Diller though :)

Bob Lizarraga said...

I DIG it! Nice job!